The day Greg came home we drove to Robertson Wyoming or better described as the middle of no where to pick Duke up. Before we went in to get our puppy, Greg explained to the kids how we needed to let the puppy pick us, not us picking the puppy. Thirty seconds after walking in the door, 6 puppies had "chosen" us. I would love to say only Maddie, Isabelle, & Ryan were the ones begging for more than one puppy, but for a moment Duke's brother was coming home with us too. Then I came to my senses.
So you ask how we knew Duke was the one. While the kids and I were swimming happily in the sea of Rottweiler/Lab Puppies, Greg stood back & watched us. There sitting on Greg's boot was Duke. As Greg moved around the room, so did Duke. Following Greg from one spot to the next, always sitting on Greg's boot. As hard as it was, we left with only one puppy and in hind sight, very happy we only took one, but definitely the right one!!!
Duke & Greg were buds from the beginning. Here they are both stealing an afternoon nap. The first night we felt like we had a newborn in the house. I quickly came to realize that standing in the yard at 3:00 am in my bathrobe, waiting for a puppy to go potty is not my favorite thing. On night two, Greg & I were so tired that we put the puppy in his kennel on the main floor & shut our bedroom door upstairs. When the alarm woke us up at 7:00 am, we thought we were such good puppy parents and had already taught Duke to sleep through the night. It wasn't until Maddie came upstairs from her bedroom in the basement, with tired eyes, did we realize that Duke cried all night long & his kennel sits on the vent above Maddie's room. Turns out that Maddie isn't fond of standing in the yard in the middle of the night either. Five weeks later, we have the middle of the night wakings down to one and Duke has settled in as part of the pack very nicely.
Look at all the things he has done since joining the Liddell Pack:
Four Wheeling With Ashley
Shooting with me
Yawning at the view on top of Cedar Mountain
Yes, I carried him all through Goblin Valley State Park. Can you say spoiled?
May I also add, he had the worst case of gas!!! I am sure it didn't bother him at all.
Tasting Trees in the San Rafel Swell
Playing with his best bud, Odie...... right before discovering cactus hurt when ran into.
Getting dirty with his pet..... you decide who owns who!!!
Up for any adventure!!!
Consoling Ryan after the adventure turns into a collision.
Trying to figure out what Maddie could possibly be doing with that Tonka Truck!!!
One dirty puppy!!!
Just one of the kids!!!
Begging Isabelle to carry him!!!
Considering that at 5 weeks old he was sleeping in a freezing cold barn on straw with his 11 brothers & sisters under a heat lamp, I think he has it pretty good!!!
He grew up so much.....We had fun...
ReplyDelete